FAQs for Clubs

What activities are clubs covered for?

Administration and participation of events (including social events), competitions, tournaments, informal workshops

^ back to top

Who is the covered by the Combined Liability policy?

The Combined Liability is designed specifically to meet the needs of Badminton England, its clubs, counties, leagues, officials, committee members, players and volunteers.

^ back to top

What is Combined Liability insurance?

Combined Liability insurance provides for legal liability following negligence, nuisance or trespass. Unlike other liability insurances, it not only covers Public & Products Liability, but also includes cover for the following, which are excluded from standard covers:

  • Public & Products Liability - Accidental bodily injury to third parties and/or damage to third party property arising out of declared Badminton England activities or goods sold or supplied
  • Member-to-Member Liability - The policy will protect one insured member if another member is injured and claims against them
  • Professional Indemnity - Injury following coaching/instruction, including incidental advice
  • Libel & Slander - Liability following something a club official or committee member might have said or written down (including defamation claims resulting from content on website forums, emails etc)
  • Directors’ & Officers’ Liability - Protection for club committee members in respect of their personal liability for claims resulting from mismanagement
  • Abuse - Abuse concerning children and vulnerable adults. Protection for damages awarded against the club committee (please note - the alleged individual perpetrator does not receive any cover)
  • Legal Defence Costs - Defence of criminal proceedings brought or in appeal against a conviction arising from such proceedings relating to an offence alleged to have been committed in the course of the business in respect of a breach of Health and Safety at Work Act or Part II of the Consumer Protection Act

^ back to top

What limits of indemnity are given?

In the event of a claim the Limit of Indemnity is the maximum the policy will pay. The Combined Liability policy provides the following Limits of Indemnity: 

• £10 million any one period of cover for Products/Pollution/Directors & Officers*
• £10,000,000 any one period of cover for Abuse*
• £250,000 Legal Defence Costs

Please note Director’s & Officers’ and Abuse claims are costs inclusive.

^ back to top

Why is a £10 million limit of indemnity required?

Howden believe that £10 million is the appropriate amount of cover to provide clubs and members with peace of mind in the event that an individual is held responsible for causing a catastrophic injury. Claims involving sports injuries have exceeded £5 million in recent years, with court awards escalating annually.

^ back to top

Are there any policy excesses?


^ back to top

If I am a committee member - What protection do I get?

As a committee member you have a personal liability in respect of the management of your club, particularly if the club is unincorporated. Combined Liability insurance provides Directors’ and Officers’ cover in order to protect you if you are sued for negligent decisions.

Examples include:

  • Mismanagement of the club finances
  • Breach of fire safety regulations
  • Corporate manslaughter

Cover is provided specifically to protect club officials and committee members.

^ back to top

As a club/county do we have Employers Liability insurance?

Yes, clubs and counties receive Employers Liability insurance through their affiliation.

This is a separate insurance required in the event that an employee is injured and claims compensation against the club.

In general, you may need Employers' Liability insurance for someone who works for you if any of the following apply:

  • You have the right to control where and when they work and how they do it
  • You supply most materials and equipment
  • You have a right to any profit your workers make although you may choose to share this with them through commission, performance pay or shares in the company. Similarly, you will be responsible for any losses
  • You deduct national insurance and income tax from the money you pay them
  • You require that person only to deliver the service and they cannot employ a substitute if they are unable to do the work
  • They are treated in the same way as other employees, for example if they do the same work under the same conditions as someone you employ

Under British Law, you can still be called an “employee” even if you are not paid. Our advice would always to take out Employers' Liability insurance.

^ back to top

How is Employer’s Liability different to Public Liability?

Employers' Liability protects the employer in the event of an injury to an employee, for which the employer is liable, eg when the employee sues the employer. Employers' Liability could apply to clubs who employ coaches or volunteers to work on their behalf.

Public Liability protects a club/member/volunteer if another member, or a member of the public, sues them for injury or damage caused.

^ back to top

Are prospective members covered by the policy for ‘taster’ sessions?

Individuals who may be interested in joining a club are insured for a maximum of six initial “taster” sessions.

For indemnity to apply it is essential that the club records their name, address and dates of attendance. These details must be retained as they may be called upon in the event of a claim. The individual must be a member from their sixth visit.

Failure to do so may mean that the insurance will be invalidated in the event of a claim.

^ back to top

Is our club covered if we go abroad?

Liability cover is provided for trips abroad that are authorised/recognised by Badminton England.

Please note this is not a Travel insurance policy, cover for which can be obtained from Sport Travel Insurance.

 ^ back to top

Does the policy provide cover for medical expenses abroad?

No, it is essential that you take out travel insurance for all members of your party travelling abroad. To obtain a quotation for travel insurance that will include cover whilst you are competing, please visit Sport Travel Insurance.

^ back to top

Does the policy cover non UK residents?

Insurance cover is only available to members who have a permanent UK address. Such members are covered for their liabilities in terms of recognised activities in both the UK and overseas, provided that any overseas trip is officially recognised/authorised by Badminton England.

Any member permanently living abroad is not covered.

^ back to top

What significant exclusions or limitations apply?

  • Deliberate, dishonest or foreseeable acts
  • Abuse - the person accused of abuse/alleged to be the abuser
  • Claims arising from loss that happened prior to the retroactive date stated in the schedule, which would be the date that your continuous membership first commenced
  • Incidents/claims known to you but not reported to the insurers immediately
  • Risks that require more specific insurance, ie motor, marine
  • Injury to any person employed (including volunteers)
  • Loss of, or damage to, property in your custody or control
  • Any legal action brought against the insured in a court of law within the United States of America or Canada, unless you are in USA or Canada representing British Canoeing on a official trip
  • Fines, penalties or punitive damages
  • Medical negligence

What is meant by ‘claims made’?

The Combined Liability policy is written on what is known as a “claims made” basis. This means that the policy provides cover for those claims reported during the period of insurance, rather than the policy that was in force at the time of the incident. 

^ back to top

Does my cover include any legal expenses?

Yes but only for legal expenses for defence of combined actions.

^ back to top

What do I do if our club becomes aware of an incident?

You should immediately record all relevant information as outlined in the Notification Requirements.

If there are verbal or written allegations made against your club, you should contact Karen Stewart at Howden on 0121 698 8046 or email - karen.stewart@howdengroup.com

We would remind you that in NO circumstances should you admit liability or agree to pay for any damage caused as this may prejudice the position of Insurers and COULD result in the withdrawal of any indemnity. 

Please note that this is a Liability policy where the courts decide if negligence attaches to you. Therefore any payments you make to any third parties will not necessarily be reimbursed. 

^ back to top

Membership enquiries:
T: 01908 268 453
Or click here to email